It’s been a devastating day in the capital as the Metropolitan Police launched three separate murder investigations in just seven hours.
Since Thursday (May 27), three Londoners have tragically lost their lives to violent crime with two being stabbed to death and another man being shot dead.
The violence started in Sutton late last night (May 27) after police were called to a property in Cheam, Sutton.
There they found a woman in her 40s suffering from stab wounds who sadly could not be saved.
In the early hours of the morning (May 28), two further incidents occurred the first being the fatal stabbing of a 74-year-old man in Lewisham and the second the shooting of a man outside a North London underground station.
This is everything we know about the three shocking murders so far.
May 27 – Woman in her 40s stabbed to death in Sutton home
A man was been arrested following the fatal stabbing of a woman in her Sutton home yesterday (May 27).
Metropolitan Police officers were called to a property on Park Road in Cheam at 21:55pm last night where they found a woman in her 40s suffering from stab injuries.
Officers performed first aid on the woman until the arrival of the London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance.
Sadly, the woman was later pronounced dead at the scene at 10.34pm.
Police are currently in the process of trying to inform her relatives.
Police later arrested a man on suspicion of murder and took him to a south London police station where he remains in custody.
It is believed he and the victim were known to each other.
Since the shocking incident occurred, forensic teams have been seen combing through the woman’s property for evidence.
The news came as a shock to the Sutton community, with local MP Elliot Colburn expressing his sadness.
Taking to Twitter, the MP said: “I was very sad and concerned to hear that a women was tragically killed in Cheam this morning after being fatally stabbed.”
To read more, click here.
May 28 – Man in his 20s shot dead in North London
Police launched another murder investigation this morning after a man was shot dead outside a Haringey London Underground station.
Officers were called to the area of Turnpike Lane and Willoughby Road, North London, in the early hours of Friday morning (May 28) to reports of a firearm discharge.
London’s Air Ambulance also raced to the scene, where a man believed to be in his 20s was found suffering from gunshot wounds.
Despite best efforts from paramedics, the man was pronounced dead at the scene at 1.55am. His next of kin have been informed.
A second shooting victim presented themselves to a North London hospital at around the same time. Police believe he was attacked on Park Lane, Tottenham, three miles from Turnpike Lane.
It has not been confirmed if the incidents are linked.
A police cordon remains at the scene – however officers are hopeful the cordon will be taken down quickly to free up the high street for vehicles, but cannot be certain
Officers have also been pictured using sniffer dogs to patrol the area which has a violent reputation according to some members of the community.
Locals and Instagram pages have claimed a drill music video was filmed in the vicinity of the attack on Thursday (May 27).
Shopkeepers on Turnpike Lane told My London they had been regularly harassed by gang members and say violent crime is common in the area
No arrests have currently been made but enquiries continue.
To read more, click here.
May 28 – 23-year-old arrested over fatal stabbing of man, 74, in Lewisham
A 23-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering a 74-year-old man in Lewisham in the early hours of this morning.
Police were called at 4.55am this morning following reports of “concerns for the welfare of an occupant” at an address in New Cross.
When Met police officers arrived at the address in Wild Goose Drive, New Cross, alongside London Ambulance Service (LAS), they found a 74-year-old man suffering from knife injuries.
Police confirmed that despite the best efforts of the emergency services, the man was pronounced dead at 5.57am.
A murder investigation has been launched and a 23-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder.
The suspect was taken to a south London police station where he remained this afternoon.
Police confirmed the suspect and the victim were known to each other.
The victim’s next of kin have been informed, and police are awaiting formal identification.
They confirmed a post-mortem will be scheduled in due course.
Detective Inspector Steven Keogh, investigating from Specialist Crime South, confirmed a crime scene remains in place at the address, and officers remain on the scene as police enquiries continue.
He said: “At this very early stage we retain an open mind as to the circumstance surrounding this death, but, I can confirm that we are not seeking any other persons in connection with this isolated incident which involved one victim.”
To read more, click here.
To stay up to date with the latest London crime news, click here.