Commuters and other TfL users are set to see disruption over the coming weeks, with fresh strikes expected from Rail, Maritime and Transport Union (RMT) members.
Transport for London has warned that those planning to use the tube on the days of the industrial action are likely to experience disruption, with the underground tube strike lines affected being extensive.
The two sides are meeting, aided by a conciliation service, in an effort to help avoid the strikes. However, if they break down or are not productive, any RMT tube drivers will likely continue their planned walkout.
Two other walkouts had been planned for earlier in the month but were called off at the last minute.
The upcoming strikes are expected to last 24 hours, and TfL have said that further information will be available ahead of the strike (and during, should they go ahead) on their dedicated web page and the TfL Go app.
When is the Tube strike happening?
We’ve known the planned dates of the industrial action for some time. The current strikes are due to go ahead on August 24 and 26, each commencing at noon.
The RMT website currently instructs all LUL Train Operators not to book on for work on the following dates:
– from 12:00 (noon) on 24.8.21 until 11.59 on 25.8.21
– from 12:00 (noon) on 26.8.21 until 11.59 on 27.8.21
Why are the London Underground tube drivers staging a walkout?
The dispute is over the planned scrapping of a separate pay grade for Night Tube drivers.
The director of customer operations for London Underground, Nick Dent, said “We have made changes to the way we roster drivers to help us provide a regular Tube service. They have also helped to create more flexibility for many of our drivers and have resulted in no job losses. We have been able to return the Waterloo & City line to service as a result of these changes, and they will help as we continue to work on fully restoring other parts of the Tube service.
“Our drivers have been vital in keeping the Tube running during the pandemic, ensuring that key workers could move around the city during the lockdowns and helping fuel London’s recovery in more recent weeks.
“This new arrangement means that all drivers have been given the opportunity for full-time work and long-term job certainty, while Londoners can continue to rely on the regularity of Tube services.
“I urge the RMT to withdraw this action and to continue engaging with the constructive discussions we have been having in recent weeks so that we can avoid this unnecessary disruption to Londoners going about their daily lives.”
Sign up to MyLondon’s FREE newsletters
Here at MyLondon, we’re doing our very best to make sure you get the latest news, reviews and features from your area.
Now there’s a way you can keep up to date with the areas that matter to you with our free email newsletters.
We have seven newsletters you can currently sign up for – including a different one for each area of London and one dedicated totally to EastEnders.
The local newsletters go out twice a day and send the latest stories straight to your inbox.
From community stories and news covering every borough of London to celebrity and lifestyle stories, we’ll make sure you get the very best every day.
To sign up to any of our newsletters, simply follow this link and select the newsletter that’s right for you.
And to really customise your news experience on the go, you can download our top-rated free apps for iPhone and Android. Find out more here.
What has RMT said about the London Underground strike?
The RMT claims the decision will threaten the loss of 200 jobs and destroy the work-life balance of 3,000 Tube drivers.
The general secretary of the RMT, Mick Lynch, said: “Our planned action remains on as scheduled. We have further talks at Acas with London Underground tomorrow and we will go into those negotiations in a positive frame of mind, seeking an agreement that protects both jobs and work/life balance for our members.”